Tuesday, October 30, 2012

So -- How Concerned Should a Bend Resident be about Disasters?

Frankenstorm Sandy is making life tough for many on the east coast as I write this.

I stumbled across this article, titled "Scouts are right: Be prepared! Get ready for an emergency before it happens," on Daily Kos.

It starts like this:
If Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan were to have their way, you'd be on your own in a disaster. Oh, they might send you some cans of tuna and Jello mix, but forget about federal aid. Except, or course, for sending in the National Guard to keep the looters away from any gated neighborhoods. 
But even with a full budget, neither the Federal Emergency Management Agency—which that deplorable duo of candidates would like to eviscerate or abolish (depending on which version of their spew you believe)—nor the Red Cross or local emergency teams can be of immediate help to everyone when a major disaster strikes. It can be days before official help, or any kind, arrives at your door, or where your door used to be. 
Which makes it a good idea to prepare in advance. That means more than queuing up for a few bottles of water, cereal and flashlight batteries a couple of days ahead of time when radar detects a megastorm headed your way.
In five parts, the piece describes the minimal preparations that should help assure saving one's life (and "that of their loved ones.")

My reader knows that I am no stranger to surviving in the outdoors. I am a backpacker, a camper; and I am not a terribly bright one: I've headed into the backcountry when a smarter man would have held back, so I've been pinned down by blizzards and torrential rainstorms...and I did fine. I found that I have (so far) brought along exactly what I needed to survive (usually not a bit more) and what I didn't bring, I McGuyvered - I'm good at that.

But here at home, I don't feel compelled to give a lot of attention to emergency preparedness. I have a couple-a good first-aid kits, a kerosene heater and lanterns in case of power outages in winter, the necessary picture of Dita von Teese, about four cord of firewood, a sweet wife, and the other essentials a man might need.

Yet the Daily Kos article has me wondering: Am I underprepared? Setting aside apocalyptic scenarios like zombies*, pandemics, riled white people with firearms, or asteroid strikes, that leaves meteorologic, geologic, or hydrologic disasters, and Bend doesn't seem very exposed to those.

Climate is changing,though.

So I ask you, reader: are there any natural disasters which might befall the city of Bend?

================
* Zombies are a big deal. Today's Public Policy Poll asked people how long they expect to live after the start of the zombie apocalypse, and 27 % of respondents said that they expected to live less than a week. 32% said they’d survive more than a year, but I think they are optimistic.

1 comment:

  1. The only disaster threats I can think of are windstorms, blizzards, forest fires and, at least theoretically, an earthquake/volcano eruption. We'd presumably have a lot of warning that the last-named was about to occur and could evacuate.

    Bend doesn't have much of a problem with extreme weather -- just chronic suckiness.

    ReplyDelete

 
------------ Facebook update page widget added 3/2012 --------------
------------ ends facebook update page widget -------------