Monday, August 27, 2012

The Cord Is Cut

Six weeks ago, Mrs Elliott and I discontinued our cable TV service. We cut the cord.

Our cable bill was absurdly high for the amount of entertainment received. "Not a good value," was the reason I gave the nice lady at Bend Broadband when she asked for a reason.

We kept the Internet, though. And got ourselves a Roku. 1080p output, HDMI.  We have already have a Netflix account, and we signed up for Amazon, and Hulu Plus. For cheap, compared with cable, like $8 a month for these services.

Pros: Cable bill went from around $150 to around $50; no more DVR filling up with crap that we somehow felt compelled to watch. Deep catalog of movies and TV shows.

Cons: No HBO shows,* no NFL,** no local TV news. I'd watch KTVZ [Edit: for local news] but we got this butte between us and the transmitter, tried that back in 2008: been there, done that. I think that $100 a month savings is worth this.

Our current watchlist is: Boss, Louie, Breaking Bad, Alphas, Children's Hospital, Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, Copper, and Episodes. With some Frasier and Cheers thrown in. Mrs Elliott probably has some ladyshows she watches when I'm not around,  I'll let her comment about that.

All in all, I feel less stupid because we're saving money, watch less TV, and what we do watch is IMO better quality.

==========
* HBO produces some damn good shows. But not $100/month damn good.

** I'll be forced to sponge off friends or hang out at Sidelines--my favorite sports bar in Bend--to watch the games. Boo hoo.

1 comment:

  1. It’s been about 35 years since I unplugged my TV, an act for which I am very, very grateful. I get all my vid fixes from the web, principally PBS (NewsHour and Masterpiece), CSPAN & CNN for good current world/US coverage, YouTube and Amazon for streaming videos. There are others, but that’s the cream of the crop for me.

    ReplyDelete

 
------------ Facebook update page widget added 3/2012 --------------
------------ ends facebook update page widget -------------