Sunday, April 1, 2012

Couple Hundred Yards, At Best

Snow's coming down pretty hard right now, at 3:30 pm. When it's clear, Mrs Elliott and I can see well past the Old Mill's iconic smokestacks to Bessie Butte and beyond that to the Paulina Mountains. But now we got these big fat lazy snowflakes coming down -- slowly, lazily. My horizon has shrunk to less than 200 yards.

I see the tops of trees no more than two blocks away and after that it's a total whiteout.

I could watch this forever. It's warm in the house, we have enough juniper firewood to last the rest of the Cold Times, I have a nice glass of Tempranillo, Eminim is on the stereo, and Game of Thrones, Season 2, starts tonight.

I'm told it is crackerjack.

4 comments:

  1. "I could watch this forever."

    Be careful what you wish for; you might get it.

    I suppose this sort of weather could indeed be exciting to somebody who spent decades enduring the dreadful warm and sunny monotony of SoCal. But after 29 years on the East Coast and 27 years in Bend, it's pretty old hat to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah but now I can see Bessie Butte again -- the storm has lifted, the sun blaring in through the window is warming my right shoulder.

    The monotony of SoCal's weather, like the sound of the vocals of the Grateful Dead, wears thin quickly. But the variability of C.O.'s weather provides to me a constant theater of amusement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Game of Thrones, Season 2, starts tonight."

    Yeah. Thank God for cable. And Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so fortunate to experience this beauty. In Portland we had our wettest March on record (ever!) flooding, and just a down right disappointing start to spring. I must hope summer makes up for it (after the last two summers that couldn't quite make their appearance last beyond the intermission).

    Gabriela

    ReplyDelete

 
------------ Facebook update page widget added 3/2012 --------------
------------ ends facebook update page widget -------------