Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Proper Dry Stout

Mrs Elliott and I visited Brother Jon's newly-open Alehouse today for a late lunch. The place was jumpin', only a couple seats short of full; the staff were friendly but not pushy, the food plain and hearty, and the clientele cheery. Several largish screens were tuned to manchannels: ESPN and Fuse.

Midway down an interesting list of 12 or so beers on tap I spotted an Irish-style stout from the Double Mountain Brewery in Hood River. Aware that St. Patrick's day is not too far away, and that it has been my avowed goal since I moved here to discover the best Irish-style dry stout in town, I really had no choice but to order a pint, now did I?

Yep. A real dry stout. It wasn't on nitro, like how they pour it at the brewery, so it wasn't just like a Dublin Guinness, but Double Mountain's description for the nitro version reads, in part, "[...] this brew is a quintessential Double Mountain interpretation of a classic style. Rich, creamy, roasty and beautifully bitter."*

As opposed to the more common versions of stouts I normally encounter, where the focus seems to be on a sickeningly sweet mess of caramel and chocolate flavors.

A beer is not a dessert. Double Mountain gets that. Theirs is the stout to beat for St. Patrick's day 2012.

Brewmasters, start your engines.

=============
* The way I like my womenTM.

1 comment:

  1. "Rich, creamy, roasty and beautifully bitter. ... The way I like my women."

    Suggests Lauren Bacall to me.

    ReplyDelete

 
------------ Facebook update page widget added 3/2012 --------------
------------ ends facebook update page widget -------------