Wednesday, January 4, 2012

In Short

Need to catch up!

I finally had a chance to eat at Slick's Que Co., on NE Revere. Had the baby back ribs. No doubt about it, they are better than Baldy's. A couple bucks more (full rack is $22), but they are more meaty. Recommended.

My kids visited for Christmas, and I used the event as an excuse to cook some fine food and drink some fine wine. I made coq au vin for Christmas Eve, and prime rib and crème brûlée on Christmas day. Once again, I managed to NOT set the kitchen afire with my Ace Hardware propane torch.

New Year's Eve is also our wedding anniversary. Mrs Elliott and I stayed at Five Pine Lodge in Sisters, an outstandingly well-appointed and luxurious place. Also on property is the Shibui Spa, which Jack is mildly irritated at.

You see, when he booked the hotel room through TripAdvisor he received this coupon:

Even the untrained eye will see that this coupon has some ambiguous language. We booked the room in October for December 31, but the coupon says that is is good no later than November 30. 

However, it also says, "[...] receive a 10% discount on any spa treatment during your stay!" [Emphasis mine.]

It's pointless to offer a discount for a period of time when customers are not staying at the hotel. 

Now, Shibui could have jumped either of two ways on this when I asked about it: They might have honored the spirit of the coupon (the "during your stay" part) or they might have tried to save a few bucks by denying the discount due to it being outside the pointless redemption date. 

Guess which way they jumped? Yup, no discount, sorry. 

Guess what I did? I didn't book the couple's massages. They lost a decent sale trying to save 10%. Not your most effective customer service or business practice. 

We had dinner at Jen's Garden, also in Sisters. A lovely six-course prix fixe menu with wine pairings. Thoroughly delightful.

I checked my weight after the holidays, and hadn't gained a pound. That's amazing.  

AND FINALLY, GO DUCKS!!! The Rose Bowl game was great fun. Next year's schedule has already been posted and my calendar has been marked. 

5 comments:

  1. "They lost a decent sale trying to save 10%. Not your most effective customer service or business practice."

    But VERY Central Oregon, in my experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "But VERY Central Oregon, in my experience."

    Shortsighted customer service is common around the world. Except for Japan, where the customer is king.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miller has a real knack for turning any negative experience, of any sort, into an anti-Bend/Central Oregon thing. He's quite good at it. I'm guessing he was just as biased as a journalist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous Coward: "Miller has a real knack for turning any negative experience, of any sort, into an anti-Bend/Central Oregon thing."

    What I was talking about was the penny-pinching attitude of many of the local businesses in this area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "[...] the penny-pinching attitude of many of the local businesses in this area."

    Having come to Central Oregon in 2008 I have not noticed that the local businesses here pinch their pennies any tighter than they do in SoCal.

    ReplyDelete

 
------------ Facebook update page widget added 3/2012 --------------
------------ ends facebook update page widget -------------