Monday, December 12, 2011

Missed My Chance!

I posted someplace, probably on H. Bruce Miller's* blog, "Bend Sux" (available by subscription here), something like a couple months ago, that were we to get an Indian summer here in Bend I might be tempted to take an end-of-the-season backpacking trip into the Cascades.

That trip never happened, mainly because I was (a) thinking September, maybe October at the latest, and (b) thinking "backpacking" instead of the more umbrellaic** term "camping."

The result of these blinders to my thinking, my too-narrow focus, is that when the weather up in the Cascades degraded quickly into dangerously-cold and possibly treacherous conditions, I simply stopped thinking about the outdoors as a destination.

BUT, had I been open to the idea of "early December," and "camping," then I would have seen that this extraordinarily sweet weather we've had for the past three weeks would have been ideal for me to take my VW poptop camper van out to the real high desert to watch a couple glorious sunrises and sunsets and relish the skies.

He who snoozes, loses. But from this mistake, I vow that forevermore I will be alert enough to see when Ma Nature has tossed us sweet sunny days.

IN OTHER NEWS, I have been sleeping much much better these days, due to the diagnostic powers of Dr. Weintrob, N.P., at Glow Medicine here in Bend. Just puttin' the word out -- she does well by me. Anxiety under control, totally, and now improved sleep. Your mileage may vary. Oh, she totally looks like Minnie Driver.

============
* A citizen of Argentina, H. Bruce Miller emigrated to Bend in 1927. Named "Bend's Goodwill Ambassador" every year from 1995 until date of publication, Miller and his lovely wife, Sharon, live on Bend's unfashionable east side. Nice house though. I'm just saying.  
** "A neologism a day keeps Alzheimer's at bay." -- Bosco Peen. 

13 comments:

  1. You might get another chance: Weather Channel's 10-day forecast calls for a little snow tomorrow and Thursday, then sunny with highs in mid- to upper 40s through the 23rd. Of course the weather here is notoriously erratic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Miller, and his lovely wife, Sharon, live on Bend's unfashionable east side."

    We were unfashionable before it was unfashionable to be unfashionable. Uh, did I say that right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, we'll see. Mellow Yellow, my camper van, just died on the way from our house to Wall Street Storage with the first load of crap I'm moving out of our overcrowded garage. It may be several days before the poor van can be looked at.

    Or it just might be out of gas.

    I'll have to play this by ear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "We were unfashionable before it was unfashionable to be unfashionable. Uh, did I say that right?"

    While the lack of fashionablage is better tolerated in some circles than in some others, Jack salutes your having been hipster before being hipster was popular. An Ur-hipster.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never been hipster. I have always been, and continue to be, hip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am kvelling today because two -- TWO! -- longtime Bend citizens, Mary Devore and Carolyn Tillia, have described me on Facebook as "a Bend treasure." How d'ya like THEM apples, Bob Shaw?

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I am kvelling today because two -- TWO! -- longtime Bend citizens, Mary Devore and Carolyn Tillia, have described me on Facebook as `a Bend treasure.' "

    Citations? -- Ed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you impugning my veracity, sirrah?

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. "I have never been hipster."

    pls see http://thehipstereffect.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/im-not-a-hipster.gif

    B. "Are you impugning my veracity, sirrah?"

    Not at all, not at all, he purred oilily. If it was up to me, I'd let it pass, but I have a job to do. Citations, please?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahem:

    "I envy you the time and luxury of sitting with the [New York] Times in your hands.....you earned it...enjoy and keep on being Bruce Miller...a Bend treasure" -- Mary Devore, Facebook post, Dec. 14, 8:16 p.m.

    "Another vote for Bruce from me." -- Carolyn Tillia, Facebook post, Dec. 15, 6:53 p.m.

    ReplyDelete
  11. But you're cheap. Do Mary and Carolyn know how cheap you are?

    This is not an attractive quality in a man.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Do Mary and Carolyn know how cheap you are?"

    Oh, absolutely. It's just one of my many endearing qualities.

    "Ah, H. Bruce Miller, that lovable old tightwad -- he's a Bend treasure!"

    ReplyDelete
  13. " "Ah, H. Bruce Miller, that lovable old tightwad -- he's a Bend treasure!' "

    Citation?

    ReplyDelete

 
------------ Facebook update page widget added 3/2012 --------------
------------ ends facebook update page widget -------------