Sunday, October 23, 2011

Pear Flambé Redux: Jack Loses Hair, Eyebrows

A couple of weeks ago, Mrs Elliott and Jack hosted a dinner party for Bend's most beloved personality, H. Bruce Miller, and his lovely wife. For dessert, Jack attempted Pears Flambé and succeeded; i.e., he did not set fire to the kitchen.

This weekend, we had a house guest, long-time friend Michael Hill of  Sweeney Pond, in Alsea, Ore., and Jack wanted to reprise this spectacular dish, but not in the kitchen: for maximum ooh and aah factor, the dish would be prepared beside the dinner table.

I set up a portable butane stove, and used a brand-new 12-inch stainless skillet purpose-bought for this dish.

Over medium-high heat the pan heated, a little clarified butter added, the pears went in, followed by 1/3rd cup of spiced rum, then lit with a long-nose lighter.

There was a satisfactory fireball. Quite impressive.

Served with vanilla ice cream, a red wine and orange reduction sauce, a sprinkle of orange zest, and sprig of mint, it was a lovely dessert. As I sat to take my first taste, I wondered why the dish tasted like burnt hair.

I examined myself this morning. The damage isn't too bad: some loss of eyebrows and hair. Not a big deal. But next time I'll lean back more, and wear a hat.  

1 comment:

  1. Jack's Flaming Pears are delicious. I prefer the hairless version, but that's just a matter of personal taste.

    ReplyDelete

 
------------ Facebook update page widget added 3/2012 --------------
------------ ends facebook update page widget -------------