Saturday, August 13, 2011

"Sateen" Sheets Troubling

Mrs Elliott just put some new sateen sheets on the bed. I'm not certain what "sateen" means: Satinesque? Pre-satin? Post-satin? Anyway, it's a fabric with a shiny finish.

The damn stuff rustles like gift wrap tissue and feels dangerously slippery.

The wikipedia tells me that, "Better qualities [of sateen] are mercerized to give a higher sheen. Some are only calendered to produce the sheen but this disappears with washing and is not considered genuine sateen."

A good washing in hot water with strong detergent will not only show whether these things are mercerized or calendered, but maybe it will make the stuff feel better. Cheap and scratchy, like low thread-count standard cotton. That's how I like my sheets. Less chance of sliding out of bed.

2 comments:

  1. Mrs. Elliott and I are on the same wave length ... just this morning I put the first satin sheet I have ever purchased on my bed! Black!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After Joe DiMaggio married Marilyn Monroe he made her get rid of her silk sheets and replace them with cotton because, he said, he "couldn't get any traction" with the silk ones. True story.

    ReplyDelete

 
------------ Facebook update page widget added 3/2012 --------------
------------ ends facebook update page widget -------------