Thursday, March 24, 2011

A Possible Solution to Crap TV: Learn to enjoy basketball

Here's the thing. There's not much on TV right now that I care to watch. Mrs Elliott has her ladyshows (American Idol, The Good Wife, Brothers and Sisters, Desperate Housewives, and a few others which seem to go on for two or more hours every evening), while my shows (Men of a Certain Age, The League, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Life and Times of Tim, Hung, Bored to Death, Dexter, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Nurse Jackie, the occasional Brit period drama on PBS, and others) are not on.

Looking at last night's lineup of shows gives me a clue about the problem:
  • CBS (1080i) has Survivor at 8 p.m., and Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior at 10 p.m.
  • NBC (1080i) has Minute to Win It at 8 p.m. and Law & Order: SVU at 10 p.m.
  • ABC (720p) has The Middle at 8 p.m., Modern Family at 9 p.m., Mr. Sunshine at 9:30 p.m., and Off The Map at 10 p.m.
  • Fox (720p) has American Idol at 8 p.m.
  • Syfy (1080i) has Ghost Hunters at 9 p.m. and the season premiere of Fact or Faked: Paranormal Files at 10 p.m.
  • FX (720p) has Justified at 10 p.m.
  • History (720p) presents Journey to the Earth's Core at 9 p.m.
  • TBS (1080i) has Are We There Yet? at 9 7 9:30 p.m.
  • Discovery (1080i) has Sons of Guns at 9 p.m. and Desert Car Kings at 10 p.m.
  • MTV (1080i) has The Real World at 10 p.m.
  • Showtime (1080i) has Inside NASCAR at 9 p.m.
  • A&E (720p) has Dog the Bounty Hunter at 9 & 9:30 p.m., and Storage Wars at 10:30 p.m.
  • Bravo (1080i) has Top Chef at 10 p.m.
  • Travel (1080i) has Deathwish Movers at 10 p.m.
  • TLC (1080i) has Hoarding: Buried Alive at 10 p.m.
  • ESPN (720p) has Magic/Knicks at 8 p.m. and Spurs/Nuggets at 10:30 p.m.
  • ESPN2 (720p) has NIT action with College of Charleston/Wichita State at 7 p.m., Miami/Alabama at 9 p.m. and Nothwestern/Washington State at 11 p.m.
Other than Modern Family and Mr. Sunshine, there's nothing I care to watch.

What do we see a lot of? Basketball. Lots and lots of basketball. In high def, and it has been going on for weeks now because this is March Madness, after all.

It seems to me that if I actually understood basketball, I might grow to appreciate it. If I appreciated it, I would enjoy watching.

So what I need is a tutor to teach me how to watch the game.

I'll buy the beer.

3 comments:

  1. Mr. Elliott (Mrs. Elliott too) ... that's a mighty risky proposition. For those Bendites who grew up in Illinois (b-ball heaven) tutoring could bring in big bucks! My father-in-law was an All American two years in a row at the University of Illinois, set a scoring record at Madison Square Garden in the late 30s, was a high school b-ball coach for 35+ years. It's in our blood. I will be parked in front of our TV for many hours this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack, Jack, Jack. I've already chasened you on this topic and I do totally respect your right to gripe - hey it's your blog after all. But admit it's hard to contain myself...

    On a positive note, my Alpha install was done on Wednesday and all I can say is WOW. Responsiveness blows the Moxi MC3 out of the water (as expected but nice to experience it). With 6 tuners, primetime is now anytime (and I have a ton of favorite shows). Watched an amasing special on the oceans last night that was on premium HD VOD - photography blew me away. I'm sorry if this comes across as a shameless plug as it's not meant that way. I'm just a big fan of good TV and find lots to my liking. Viva la differance (sp?). JF
    PS - I don't much like Bball either. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey JF -- that you?

    "Chasened"? Who are you, my dad? Will you next scold me?

    I can see you're enthusiastic about the Alpha and find much to enjoy. That's great.

    I look forward to the Alpha. A more responsive UI will be appreciated. Pity it can't improve the programming.

    ReplyDelete

 
------------ Facebook update page widget added 3/2012 --------------
------------ ends facebook update page widget -------------