Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Women Laughing Alone With Salad

Ha ha, she said.
Thehairpin.com has a photo series of women laughing alone with salad. Click on the link and you'll see a mess of photos of women, well, laughing while eating salad. Alone.

My friend Bruce Miller and I have been discussing this imagery. We both understand that that we're viewing stock photography to be used in print ads promoting healthy dining or to flog salad dressing.

Taken out of context, though, viewed by someone from the 535th century or an aboriginal Australian, someone who does not know women of our time want to be slim, these images would be a puzzle. If they have lettuce where they are then they will know that a salad is something that needs concentration, willpower, some free time, and strong molars to grind through. Hardly a laughing matter.

Taken as a whole the images are, to me, slightly weird. I don't recall ever hearing about women alone eating salad, laughing. Miller tells me that he has never witnessed such a thing.

Maybe some of the ladies can comment on this. Click on the Comment link, below. You can leave your comment anonymously if you wish. Tell us: do you, anyone you know, laugh while eating salad alone?

4 comments:

  1. You have WAAAAY too much time on your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, but I see you didn't answer the question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, Okay. I admit it, sometimes I laugh while eating a salad. Thinking about how I outwitting those fattening calories by munching on something that takes more effort to consume than say a 20 minute workout. I admit it. I am one of those women addicted to salads. I order them whenever I go out and I make sure they are large, so large that the crunching goes on longer than my appetite. I also admit that I question the masculinity of any man that orders a salad with me. Salads are for us poor starving chicks. We eat them so we look better for men, but pity the man that eats them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i only laugh when eating a salad alone if there is something funny on TV or a movie i'm watching. i ritually eat a salad every night. the ratio of laughing while eating a salad, to eating a salad, in my life, is about 1:83. but i do love my salads! i put sexy stuff in them.

    ReplyDelete

 
------------ Facebook update page widget added 3/2012 --------------
------------ ends facebook update page widget -------------