Saturday, January 1, 2011

Down a Few Dress Sizes, Seven Years No Itch

As I posted in September, I sought the aid of a nutritionist to shake off a few pounds. We made some corrections to my eating habits and the result has been good. In July my doctors' scale put me at 212 lbs. (In July of '09, after being in a wheelchair for two months following ankle surgery I weighed 218 lbs.)

Yesterday, on the same scale, I weighed 192 lbs.

That's two to three dress sizes, I guess. Hard to say exactly because it takes anywhere between seven to ten pounds to go down a size, depending on body type and the sizes you're going switching between (there's only an inch between some sizes and two between others), and I don't wear dresses, mainly.

But if I did I'd sure be tempted to go on a buying spree. 

I set my food plan aside last night. Not just because it was New Year's Eve, also because it was our wedding anniversary. Mrs Elliott and I counted on our fingers and compared notes, and near as we can tell we've been married for seven years.

Best thing I ever did, marrying this woman. She's the one that told me it was high time I rid myself of a few pounds -- generally speaking, she's the one that lets me know when I get too far off course. Her price is far above rubies. Maybe as high as diamonds, but now we're haggling.

One of the things we like to do for a romantic evening is cook together, and we cooked up a fine meal last night. Just check out this menu:

Garlic, Chickpea and Spinach Soup

Pears with Ricotta and Gorgonzola Cheese, Green Olive, and Date Stuffing

Phyllo-Wrapped Roasted Asparagus with White Wine and Shallot Reduction in Herb Butter Sauce

Leek Soufflé

Blueberries with Whipped Cream

Everything was delicious. (The soufflé was a bit heavy -- it rose fine, but it was wet inside. My first thought was that I had made a mistake by returning the cooked leeks back into the sauce, making it too heavy, but re-reading the recipe this morning I see that I did it right. So my working theory now is that it needed more time in the oven to fully firm up. But it tasted great so no regrets there.)

We re-read our wedding vows to each other, we sipped Champagne in the spa, we listened to music, I surprised her with a fine French perfume.

I'm a damn lucky man.

Drifting to sleep I listened to Bend greet the new year with a few firecrackers and, probably, a gunshot or two. Reminded me of the ten years I lived in Vista, Ca., where one is lulled to sleep every New Year's eve with the sound of guns starting at 11:55 and peaking at midnight with a constant barrage of semi-automatic weapons fired into the air.

I hope y'all have a happy and prosperous 2011.


3 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! I have no green and yellow food tips for you ... nor do I have chicken raising hints. BUT ... I do want to congratulate you and Mrs. Elliott ~ so very fortunate to have found each other. Last evening's dinner menu ~ beyond yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations and Happy New Year to you and Mrs. E, Jack, and I want the phyllo-wrapped asparagus recipe.

    Throw a couple of filet mignons on the barbecue and that dinner would've been perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Vista, Ca., where one is lulled to sleep every New Year's eve with the sound of guns starting at 11:55 and peaking at midnight with a constant barrage of semi-automatic weapons fired into the air."

    I thought that happened every night.

    ReplyDelete

 
------------ Facebook update page widget added 3/2012 --------------
------------ ends facebook update page widget -------------