Monday, September 6, 2010

Summer No Longer Troubles

Summer in SoCal is that hot period starting somewhere in mid-July and ending in January. Sometime during January it gets cold, but I remember our wedding on December 31 in Escondido, as hot. A sweaty, hot Christmas day is no time to eat massive amounts of traditional holiday food. There is no good time to eat fruitcake.

Once summer is over, mid-January, as I say, it gets colder, rain can happen, and overcast is frequent.

From Jeremiah Johnson:
Would you happen to know what month of the year it is?
No, l truly wouldn't. l'm sorry, pilgrim. March. Maybe, April. March maybe. l don't believe April. Winter's a long time going? Stays long this high. March is a green, muddy month down below. Some folks like it. Farmers mostly.
March is wet, April's a nice month. Things green up. For a few weeks, the weather is brilliant. By early June the heat has returned, the hills are browning. Then the marine layer moves in along the coast and lays down like a wet dog for a while. Two months, three this year, I hear. Can't see the sun, ever.

After that, the heat begins again broken only by the furnace-like Santa Ana winds.

I am reminded of how summer felt in SoCal by what I consider to be the best line of the day:
Fall is my favorite time of the year if only because it frees me from this oppressive heat which makes me feel like death and smell like old balls.
(http://jezebel.com/5631170/what-should-fellas-wear-in-autumn-to-make-us-not-look-idiotic)

11 comments:

  1. After 25 years in Bend, the only thing fall means to me is that summer is over and winter is coming, and I HATE THE FRICKIN' WINTER!

    We don't even have decent fall foliage color here. (I'll touch on that in a future post on my blog.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW Jack, maybe you wouldn't smell like old balls if you took a shower once every week or thereabouts. Not sayin' nothin', just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "We don't even have decent fall foliage color here. (I'll touch on that in a future post on my blog.)"

    Oh, I's sure you will. The fall color here outshines anything I ever saw in SoCal. Mainly because there is no fall.

    But I didn't write this post to re-start a tired debate about the weather here, just to express my appreciation at having left behind a climate I found less agreeable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "BTW Jack, maybe you wouldn't smell like old balls if you took a shower once every week or thereabouts."

    My balls are cleaner than a fresh bar of soap. Every night they are dipped into warm, soapy water and gently scrubbed by licensed masseuses. They are next rinsed twice: first in imported Champagne, then in pure rainwater delivered daily from Tibet, then lightly patted dry with with 100% Egyptian balltowels. Finally, they receive a light dusting of Hai Karate-scented talcum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "My balls are cleaner than a fresh bar of soap."

    I'll take your word for it. But I'd like to know where you get the 100% Egyptian cotton balltowels. I haven't been able to find any since I left California. Do you buy them on-line?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bed, Bath, and BEYOND. They also have ball-buffers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "They are next rinsed twice: first in imported Champagne"

    If it ain't imported, it ain't Champagne.

    Vintage or non-vintage?

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1996 Brut. But Bubble-Up is pretty good, too. Mountain Dew, not so good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha..ha..ha....too funny Mr. Elliott! And btw- I hate fruit cake! But I do make this amazing loaf cake around Christmas time. -Malia Ward

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Mountain Dew, not so good."

    Leaves 'em kind of sticky, I would imagine.

    ReplyDelete

 
------------ Facebook update page widget added 3/2012 --------------
------------ ends facebook update page widget -------------