Friday, September 17, 2010

Beer, Wine, Football

I heard today that Bend is soon to be home to an 11th micro-brewery. Or maybe it's going to be a nano-brewery. Pretty soon we'll have pico-breweries: one bottle at a time.

I hope they do more than just IPA's -- I'm plain tired of over-hopped IPA's.

Pursuant to beers that are not completely overpowered by hops, I had Boneyard Beer's Bona Fide Pale Ale at Brother Jon's a few weeks ago. Went back a second time to have more. I liked it. Those kids seem to be doing a nice job, and I have been remiss: I have not yet visited their facility. I hope to rectify that next week.

This week's The Source has a nice writeup about Tonya Cornett, the brewmaster at Bend Brewing Company who was "...the 2008 World Beer Cup Small Brewpub Brewer of the Year – the first woman to ever take the title." I've often enjoyed the nicely-balanced offerings that she creates. I wrote about her lovely dry stout last St. Patrick's day (hope she does it again). I think she knows her business when it comes to brewing. She's cute, too.

And finally, on the wine and football axis, I learned that one of my favorite downtown destinations, The Wine Shop and Tasting Bar, is planning to show Monday Night Football. If you're not on their mailing list, drop a note to thewineshopbend@bendbroadband.com.

3 comments:

  1. Football and wine -- an odd combination, even for a dedicated wino / football fan like me. But The Wine Shop also has a wide variety of beers available.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duncan McGeary says he senses a "brewery bubble" may be brewing in Bend. Could it be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dunc is a perceptive fellow. When I read that we were to have two more breweries I wondered if these new fellows would struggle to deal with a saturated market.

    I enjoy seeing young, energetic entrepreneurs tossing the dice and getting into their own small businesses. I'd like to see them create wonderful ales and beers. But if the market is stretched too thinly between too many breweries, then they will be forced to make only the most profitable, easily-sold beers, and Jack is plain tired of IPA's.

    Our latest brewery to hit the ground running is Boneyard. The manager of the beer and wine department at my local market says they have heard great things about them and will carry them as soon as they are available in bottles or cans. I know nothing about the brewing business, but my spidey sense tells me that purchasing bottling or canning equipment is expensive.

    So it comes down to whether these new small breweries can just survive on walk-in and keg sales alone, because without a pub license or bottling equipment, their growth will be limited, and the more crowded the market is, the tougher it will be to get over those hurdles.

    But I applaud their ambitions.

    (Brewers: Jack Elliott is available to write lots of good words about your beers for the low low price of free beer. Operators are standing by.)

    ReplyDelete

 
------------ Facebook update page widget added 3/2012 --------------
------------ ends facebook update page widget -------------