Wednesday, April 21, 2010

How Gay Am I?

If by gay, you mean, "a man who can look at a vintage dress and know exactly what year it came from," then I'm pretty gay.

This morning, at the Downtown Bend Business Association meeting, I noticed that Kelli Brooks, the owner of At The Beach, was wearing an orange and white plaid mini-skirt length dress, with a white hair band and matching white go-go boots. She looked totally gear.

I met up with her afterward at Thump Coffee and told her that she looked smashing, like a page out of a 1964 issue of Life magazine.

"This actually is a vintage dress from 1964," she told me.

So this tells me two things:
  1. I'm old enough to know 1964 fashion when I see it, and
  2. I'm gay enough to be able to know exactly what year a dress came from. 
That is, if by "gay" we mean "A man who can look at a vintage dress and know exactly what year it came from."

9 comments:

  1. I tell everyone about my gay father :]
    It's quite the conversation starter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dunno that I would think you were gay for recognizing an outfit style that probably gave you the hots back when you were first noticing things like that, but I might think you were gay for using the phrase "totally gear". :/
    You should've taken a pic of her. Of course that might sound like some creepy pickup line... "I want to take a pic of you for my blog..."
    Speaking of pics, who's the stern looking fellow uptotharight?
    When did you change the layout... ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of whom? Are you saying that's you? What happened to the genial semi-rotund fellow we're used to?
    That guy looks like the career FBI agent from central casting. (!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have many faces. See bottom of http://socal2bend.blogspot.com/2010/04/about-as-pretty-day-as-one-could-want.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW, those are the same frames that Malcolm X wore, as did Denzel Washington who played him in the movie, and which Kevin Kostner wore in JFK.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Y'know, they say that sociopaths look different in almost all their pictures... not sayin' anything, just sayin'. hehe
    I read that post, but I've been having a spotty internet connection lately and I don't believe the pic d/l-ed.
    And of course your frames would have an anecdote to go with 'em. They couldn't just be ...frames; heaven forbid!
    : )
    I saw a guy on TV making steak and kidney pie; he used two big cans of Guiness in preparing the kidneys, and so I thought of you. He was concerned about them tasting like piss. I guess he figured sludge was the better of the two flavors. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're not the first to notice the suggestion of sociopathy. That's probably why I got them, because I don't have a story to go them; I just thought they were supremely dorky. Mrs Elliott hates them. I'm not a fan of English cooking, I'll leave it to others to ruin perfectly good ale by pouring it on kidneys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "BTW, those are the same frames that Malcolm X wore, as did Denzel Washington who played him in the movie, and which Kevin Kostner wore in JFK."

    Couldn't you afford new ones?

    ReplyDelete

 
------------ Facebook update page widget added 3/2012 --------------
------------ ends facebook update page widget -------------