Friday, June 19, 2009

Boot Off, Stitches Out

The folk at Desert Orthopedics removed the great big black plastic and Velcro monster pain in the ass giant Michael Jackson moon boot ankle immobilization whatsit off my leg yesterday. My skin tasted sensations of air current caresses and gentle finger touches for the first time in over two weeks and drank deeply of it.

The foot was afraid to come out, though. It felt vulnerable, afraid of being hurt. Like a little hermit crab exiting his shell or a snake shedding her skin. The big bad outside world is a little scary to a foot which has had an ankle fusion and bolts put into it and is barely on its way to healing and strength.

We washed my leg and foot, new x-rays were taken and since neither of the bolts were broken (!) pronounced good. The stitches were gently teased out, incisions taped, and I was sent home with permission to take showers without having to first seal my leg and foot in a trash bag -- now that the stupid great big black plastic and Velcro monster pain in the ass giant Michael Jackson moon boot ankle immobilization whatsit is no longer needed.

My calf has lost quite a bit of muscle mass.

I wonder whether it will necessarily gain it back -- I mean, with a fused ankle, it's not clear if the Achilles tendon will do anything worthwhile anymore, and if it's not longer employed, do the calf muscle have much to do?

That's a question for later, when I start physical therapy.

But it's nice to see progress, even if it is in the form of a slightly swollen foot with skin texture like a water buffalo's butt.

1 comment:

  1. Hope your healing progresses well, Jack. How's the pain level? Better, I hope.

    ReplyDelete

 
------------ Facebook update page widget added 3/2012 --------------
------------ ends facebook update page widget -------------