Monday, June 22, 2009

Bend Bites Man

Yesterday was cool but pretty*, the last day of the Bite of Bend. Lots of tasties. A middlin' crowd: I was told it was a lot busier Saturday. The good thing about having a handicap plaque is that one can find close parking, but it wasn't needed yesterday: the handicap parking places on Wall were all full, but there were several choice regular ones available.

The front of Duncan's shop was still walled off by the Whole Foods booth (nice sweet watermelon!). Tooling around in my wheelchair, I had a chance to say hi to a few friends.

The voting for the board of directors Downtown Bend Business Association closed last week. I don't know when the results will be announced -- I have a few favorites who have their hats in the ring that I'd like to see get on the board 'cause I think they have some pretty good ideas for keeping the downtown healthy. I like the downtown.

Mrs Elliott's grousing about the weather, again. She misses the sunshine and the tepid climate of San Diego. I like the changeable nature of central Oregon's weather.

I was reading that some concerts at the Schwab have been canceled. Something to do with the OLCC, but I couldn't quite figure out why the promoters were pulling out, what their gripe was.

==============
* The way I like my women.

4 comments:

  1. "Mrs Elliott's grousing about the weather, again. She misses the sunshine and the tepid climate of San Diego."

    I'm with her! Bend is so damn cold and the summers are so damn short it's ridiculous! What good is having all these terrific outdoor recreation opportunities if the weather is too crappy to enjoy them eight months out of the year?

    "I like the changeable nature of central Oregon's weather."

    "Changeable" I wouldn't mind. "Eight months of winter a year" I do mind. And as I get older I mind it more and more.

    Prediction: You'll be heading back to San Diego (or some other warmer clime) someday. Or you'll become snowbirds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had 59 years of endless summers, or well, more like 8-month long summers in SoCal, the last twenty-five of which were in coastal San Diego county, the Valium of climate, the Muzak of weather. Always pleasant, never interesting.

    But you may be right -- I hope not, I hope I don't tire of this place. I like having to wear a jacket and a hat.

    Who is that in the picture? Seymour Philip Hoffman? One of my favorite actors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Who is that in the picture? Seymour Philip Hoffman? One of my favorite actors."

    Yes, it's him in "The Big Lebowski" as the flunky for The Big Lebowski -- an early role. I chose the image because he looks smarmy and obnoxious. He's one of my favorite actors too. Incredible in just about every role he plays. "Capote" was his best, I think. "Doubt" was amazing too.

    I've got to admit I didn't really get sick of the endless Bend winters for the first 20 years or so. But then I was only 39 when my family and I moved here. Gets harder to take as you get older, I think.

    The isolation gets to you as well -- being a four-hour drive from any city of any size.

    Glad to see you're apparently in less pain. Hope you continue to mend well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I couldn't quite figure out why the promoters were pulling out, what their gripe was."

    I believe they get a cut of the beer and wine sales.

    ReplyDelete

 
------------ Facebook update page widget added 3/2012 --------------
------------ ends facebook update page widget -------------