Saturday, January 10, 2009

Jack on the Town, a followup


(Following up on my post about yesterday's quest to find a good place in Bend to drink and read)
  1. I was downtown this morning and asked Dunc (Pegasus Books) about the building with the missing mezzanine. According to him, it used to be the J.C. Penny building, but he didn't recall whether the main floor had a high ceiling. I proposed that it did. It's possible that when it was later divided into small shops and offices, a drop ceiling was added. Up above all the main floor offices is likely a huge, gloomy, dark space, with nothing in it but dust. I like to think that a big old forgotten Zeppelin is parked up there. 

  2. I told Duncan that Fun Home was brilliant. "That's good to hear," he said. "Because if you didn't like it I was going to give up on you." 

  3. Mrs Elliott is, even as I write this on Saturday evening, finishing Fun Home. "It's good," she says, as she closes the book, her touch lingering for a moment on the dust jacket.

1 comment:

  1. Jack, if you are looking for local history books, High Desert Museum is you best best.

    Won't find much at used bookstores because they get snapped up, instantly.

    Of course, try the local indy's first.

    ReplyDelete

 
------------ Facebook update page widget added 3/2012 --------------
------------ ends facebook update page widget -------------