Thursday, December 18, 2008

So...How Are You Doing?

"Oh. That's right -- you're not from around here. How are you handling the cold?" This, followed by the kind of worried look people give to someone who has received a diagnosis of cancer. 

Sure, we're from SoCal, and it's true that Mrs Elliott dresses like someone suiting up for an Apollo orbiter EVA when she has to go into the garage, but me likee this weather. I find it bracing. Haven't needed to don my big puffy jacket nor break out the merino wool underdrawers -- yet.  Just a beanie for my baldy head, an undershirt, a light wool sweater and a windbreaker (or occasionally my slightly warmer Mountain Equipment Co-op pullover) have been perfectly sufficient. I got some bulbous Sorel boots on sale from Fred Meyers for snow shoveling & firewood hauling, and have some nice warm Smartwool sockies. 

Mellow Yellow (my 1984 VW Vanagon Westfalia camper) got new Nokian Hakkapeliitta snow tires and they are working quite well. 

It's been fine. Really. But thank you for asking. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
------------ Facebook update page widget added 3/2012 --------------
------------ ends facebook update page widget -------------