Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Five Days and Counting


Only five days before I hit the road. No, the news was not good for Mrs Elliott's Volvo. The dealer hooked it up to their purpose-built scanner and found three codes. The first, a stuck solenoid, was $75 for the part and $170 for the labor. The second said that the transmission wanted new software. No biggie, apparently. The third was for a transmission. $2,300 and 13-1/2 hours of labor. he gave me the news in that order.

"Ha ha," I said. "That's a big laugh you're having on me, aren't you?"

"..."

I waited. "You're not kidding--right?"

He waited.

We decided against buying a new transmission. Mrs Elliott will drive the car until the day she and the boys climb aboard the 26-foot Penske. The car will be picked up by a tow company and auctioned off at a wholesale auto auction, proceeds to go to charity.

In the meantime, I have been getting our little 1973 Ladybug-brand trailer in ship-shape. (Trailer pictured above. Made in San Clemente, CA.) Tires are aired up, lights have been checked. We're raring to go.

5 comments:

  1. We are also hitting the road on the tenth; we're going to visit my Dad in AZ. Due to financial circumstances and time constraints (with the kids in school) we haven't been out to see the old guy in three years. Not good, particularly since he lives alone and has medicinally controlled Parkinson's. Fortunately he has siblings in the area with whom he is close- or as close as he gets to anybody. I'm going to try to talk him into coming to Canada after we get settled in but I'm not holding my breath.
    Why am I telling you this? I dunno, just that we're setting out on the same day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @bethileptic -- do those socks have toes?

    @refisher: Good luck on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like toes. no knees. very cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Photo too small, I can't tell either -- how about it bethileptic, toes or just looks like toes?

    ReplyDelete

 
------------ Facebook update page widget added 3/2012 --------------
------------ ends facebook update page widget -------------